Summary of Proposed Rule Changes

A forum for official league bizniz.
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Summary of Proposed Rule Changes

Postby Black Sox » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:30 pm

3. A general rule of thumb for these rules is : MLB stats dictate roster eligibility for Cutdown Day and Farm Draft ; Projection Disk (league disk) stats dictate play of 2021 BDBL season
Where there is a Gill, there is a way
Niagara Locks
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Niagara Locks » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:06 pm

cowtippers wrote:
You have to consider the impact of these proposed rules on the 2022 BDBL year and going forward

If it isn't specifically denoted in the rules, let me be even clearer: these rules ONLY apply to the 2021 BDBL season.

Let me be clearer on what I’m asking; can a salary revert back to zero in 2022 for a player on the 35 man roster in BDBL 2021 who is farm eligible and not on the 2021 disk used for the BDBL 2022 season ?
Mustangs
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Mustangs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:35 am

Mike, I'm a little confused by your question, but I think the answer is that the salary would only potentially go back to 0 if it was $100k, which is just like it always is.
Charlotte Mustangs - Patience shall be rewarded. (hopefully)
Niagara Locks
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Niagara Locks » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 am

Mustangs wrote:Mike, I'm a little confused by your question, but I think the answer is that the salary would only potentially go back to 0 if it was $100k, which is just like it always is.

Yes, Tony, that is what I am asking..... I think.

The following example could come up more than a few times:

Player A has never been in the big leagues, will not play in the MLB in either the year 2020 or 2021.

However, player A has a projection on the DMB year 2020 projection disk; and, it's a decent projection, so a team wants to use him in the 2021 BDBL season, thus adds player A to the 35 man roster. His salary is now $ 100k.

So, for the 2022 BDBL season, according to my understanding of BDBL current rules, player A cannot go back on the 15 man farm because he has a salary, and cannot be on the 35 man roster because he is not on the 2021 disk. ( As I am typing this, maybe the answer is that he can be be on the 35 man roster, since he has a salary. )

If the answer is that player A can be on the 35 man roster in the 2022 BDBL season even though he is not on the 2021 DMB disk, I'm OK with that.

If player A is in no man's land ( i.e., cannot be on farm OR the 35 man ), then what happens to that player ?

That's what I mean by these rules impacting the 2022 BDBL season and beyond.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:07 am

So, for the 2022 BDBL season, according to my understanding of BDBL current rules, player A cannot go back on the 15 man farm because he has a salary,

The rules do not say this. The rule says if a player’s salary is $500K or above he cannot be farmed on Cutdown Day. So, in your Wander F’ing Franco scenario, you can continue to farm him in 2022. :wink:
Niagara Locks
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Niagara Locks » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 am

cowtippers wrote:
So, for the 2022 BDBL season, according to my understanding of BDBL current rules, player A cannot go back on the 15 man farm because he has a salary,

The rules do not say this. The rule says if a player’s salary is $500K or above he cannot be farmed on Cutdown Day. So, in your Wander F’ing Franco scenario, you can continue to farm him in 2022. :wink:

Ha ! I seriously was not thinking of him; I think he will play in the MLB in 2021.

Since the projected players include most players in AA or above, lot's of those players won't play in MLB in 2020, and, because of losing a season in 2020, won't play in the MLB in 2021 either.

I just don't want our team owners getting stuck playing one of these players and then having to cut them; but you answered my question and that is not a concern.

Thanks Mike, you and Tony have made a workable situation out of a bad scenario going on with the MLB.
Mustangs
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Mustangs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am

Black Sox wrote:
3. A general rule of thumb for these rules is : MLB stats dictate roster eligibility for Cutdown Day and Farm Draft ; Projection Disk (league disk) stats dictate play of 2021 BDBL season

John, I'm still confused on how this rule would actually change based on how many games MLB plays. Yes eligibility may change based on that, but the rule itself wouldn't change, and the rule is no different than every other year where career MLB AB/IP dictate farm eligibility.

If you can provide an example which further explains your question/concern maybe that will help clarify?
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Sox » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 am

Tony, if the season is cancelled and no games are played due to COVID, wouldnt that have an impact on the rules we are trying to pass for 2021? I realize the projection disk is going to be used and obviously that would not be impacted. But if there is no season or a 2 week or a 4 week season, then that would affect usage/availability - correct?
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:18 am

John, if no games are played, which proposed rule would be affected?

Farm eligibility is based on MLB playing time, so if no games are played, any farm-eligible player today would still be farm-eligible.

Usage is based on the disk, so that wouldn’t be affected.

I can’t think of anything else that would be affected.
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Sox » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:35 pm

3. Rule 18.11 (no-penalty cuts) will still be effect, the PA/IP limits for this Cutdown Day will be 28/15/7 and be based on 2020 MLB stats (subject to change based on # of MLB game actually played). Additionally, for any player cut under this provision, the original owner cannot re-acquire that player during the auction/draft that follows Cutdown Day. (That owner may acquire that player via any method allowed by normal rules after the FA draft.)
Mustangs
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Mustangs » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:01 pm

OK yes, I agree, that makes sense, we might need to reconsider a new PA/IP limit for cutting contracts based on how many games MLB actually plays. Unless we say you cannot get out of a contract if the guy is on the projection disk, I'm not sure there's really another way to address it and if MLB plays less than the 60 games we expect, I would assume that rule would need to be revisited in the future.

I'm not sure it's a reason to not vote on things now so that people can continue to plan their team's future. The limits on this rule won't be known until September 28.
Niagara Locks
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Niagara Locks » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Mustangs wrote:OK yes, I agree, that makes sense, we might need to reconsider a new PA/IP limit for cutting contracts based on how many games MLB actually plays. Unless we say you cannot get out of a contract if the guy is on the projection disk, I'm not sure there's really another way to address it and if MLB plays less than the 60 games we expect, I would assume that rule would need to be revisited in the future.

I'm not sure it's a reason to not vote on things now so that people can continue to plan their team's future. The limits on this rule won't be known until September 28.

Just keep it at those low limits of 28/15 or whatever; because of circumstances, some teams will be able to get out of bad contracts this season.

No reason to penalize teams otherwise.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:58 pm

+1 to the above.

The number of players who will actually fall into this category is so low, it hardly matters. If you gain some advantage by releasing someone who wouldn’t otherwise be eligible to be released, then good for you. It isn’t the end of the world.
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Sox » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:59 pm

The way I look at it is there will either be 60 games or 0 games. If they play 30 games, those games will not count toward a season. Its either 60 with a post season or nothing. That is why I don't see the need to put rules in now until we know either way. September 28 or sooner we will know. We all know we are using the projection disk. Teams are planning accordingly based on that.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:08 pm

As long as we all agree to every other rule that isn’t affected by the 2020 MLB season, then I’m fine with postponing a final vote on the other rules until the MLB season ends.

Return to “League Announcements”