OL MOY: Scot Zook

EL MVP: Giancarlo Stanton
EL CY: Corey Kluber
EL BR: Giancarlo Stanton
EL GMOY: Bobby Sylvester
EL MOY: Bobby Sylvester

Congrats to all the winners!

A few interesting notes:

-- I don't know why we bother having a separate Babe Ruth award. In the history of the BDBL, the person who won the BR award was the league MVP 13 out of 20 times in the OL and SEVENTEEN out of 20 times in the EL!

-- This is Bobby's fifth OL MOY win, and third GMOY. His old man owns six GMOY awards and four MOY's. Combined, the Sylvesters have won nearly HALF of all of the GMOY and MOY awards in the EL!

-- I don't know why the Eck League bothers voting for GMOY or MOY, given that they award those honors to the guy who won the league almost every year! In our history, the ELGMOY was also the league's champion 17 out of 20 times. And more often than not (12 out of 20 times) the ELGMOY and ELMOY were the same guy!

-- In contrast, the OLGMOY was the same as the league champion only 11 times, and only seven times were the OLGMOY and OLMOY the same guy.

-- What does a fella have to do to be awarded the Babe Ruth award unanimously? Stanton only received 18 of the 20 first-place votes!

-- Managers of teams that lost 100+ games received EIGHT votes for Manager of the Year! :shock:

-- Ten out of the twelve GM's in the OL received at least one vote for GMOY. (Sorry, Ryan and Matt!)

-- Ten out of the twelve managers in the OL received at least one vote for MOY. (Sorry, Glanders!)

-- This was the first year in our 20-year history I did not receive a single vote for MOY. (And well-deserved!)

-- ELEVEN out of the twelve managers in the EL received at least one vote. (Sorry, Tony D.!)

-- Sale joins Randy Johnson, Erik Bedard, Clayton Kershaw, and Pedro Martinez as the only pitchers in BDBL history to win back-to-back Cy Young awards. (This is Sale's third.) Note that four of the five pitchers that accomplished this feat are left-handed.

-- This is the 12th year in a row that a pitcher in the EL has won a Cy Young award for the first time in his career.
Freedom GM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: And the winners are...

Postby Freedom GM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Really shocked I won either award. MP manager who kicked it into gear for the playoffs (I guess that counts for a lot though). Then as a GM I traded Trevor Story, Gleyber Torres and Sean Newcomb, although I did pick up some big-time pieces (deGrom, Betances, etc). All in all, I guess the World Series shows it to have been a successful year, but I'm kicking myself over a few moves.
Freedom GM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Freedom GM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:29 pm

How am I the only person who voted Paulson GM of the year!? He had an amazing rebuilding season, hence while he will win 120 games again after one rebuilding year
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:30 pm

If Chamra, Romonosky, or Badger had won the Tournament of Randomness then they would be GMOY and MOY. That's just how the EL votes!

Stein and Scott were robbed, IMHO. They both came in a distant second.
Mike S./Rocks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike S./Rocks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Congrats to the winners!

Woulda voted for myself a few more times if I knew I needed it.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

How am I the only person who voted Paulson GM of the year!? He had an amazing rebuilding season, hence while he will win 120 games again after one rebuilding year

What am I missing? Other than Jesus Aguilar, who did he acquire in 2018 that will help his cause in 2019? Kemp is nice, but expensive. He picked up a few bullpen arms. His biggest bullpen acquisition (Dominguez) was picked up as a FA.

I've had to look at his roster a few times and I don't see a 120-win team. Maybe I'm just in denial.
Undertakers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Undertakers » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Definitely not a going to win 120, but I will be competitive next year!
BDBL Champion: 5 times
Ozzie League Champion: 6 times
Griffin Division Champion: 16 times
Best Looking GM: 2 times
#1 in Franchise Wins
DylanBadger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby DylanBadger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:54 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the votes!
Mustangs
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Mustangs » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:20 pm

I have similar thoughts about the MOY and GMOY. First, I don't really ever feel comfortable voting for these in the OL because I only play 4 teams once and never see the others. Not really an informed voter on that one.

Also, the EL is always difficult because of so many owners playing MP. I never vote for any of those teams for MOY. This year was especially ridiculous because Bobby typically left playing any games (or sending out MPs) until the final week of the chapter which means I really doubt he even managed the games he was responsible for! (No offense intended, Bobby)

I would be in favor of restricting MOY voting to only in league owners, but I'm also fine just leaving it as it is, not really a big deal to me.
Charlotte Mustangs - Patience shall be rewarded. (hopefully)
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:02 pm

If only the EL were allowed to vote for ELMOY, the voting would have been:

1. Bobby - 29
2. Scott - 19
3. Chamra - 17
4. Badger - 11
5. DJ - 9
6. Kyle - 3
7. Luhning/Stein - 1
Peaks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Peaks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks to everyone who voted for me and my guys. For such a record-breaking season, getting so many players (6) with votes was amazing. Landing our first Cy Young (thanks again Jeff!) as well as my fourth MVP runner-up (Arod, Encarnacion, Adam Jones) is a nice performance.

The thing I take most pride in is the GMoY award. 2nd win, 5th time finishing in the top three really validates that I can hang in this league. When I joined 16 seasons ago, I had a ton of doubts once I saw the quality of owners in this league at the time. Either the overall quality of the league has diminished allowing me to rise, or maybe I can be good at this. In any case, thanks!
Freedom GM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Freedom GM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Greg, you are without question among the top GMs in the league. I don't imagine anyone would debate that.
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Sox » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:17 pm

I have fallen and I can't get up
Where there is a Gill, there is a way
Ryche
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Ryche » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm

This may have been the first time that I haven't voted. I meant to, but I guess there was a rush to get this done in just a few days. :roll: I appreciate the MOY votes. I would have thought GM was where I was a bit better, but I wasn't winning either of them anyway.
Dumbledoyle
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Dumbledoyle » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:15 pm

Congrats to all the winners... (especially Charlie Blackmon of the Joplin Miners) :)
2021 BDBL Champs!

Return to “League Announcements”