2019 Ballparks

A forum for official league bizniz.
Peaks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: 2019 Ballparks

Postby Peaks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:47 pm

And SLF will move to his '18 factors after I withheld his auction password... :)
LeeScholtz
All-Star
All-Star

Postby LeeScholtz » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am

I'm going to go Citi Field, just for my NY living. But i definitely want a retractable roof, don't want to deal with rainouts.
"8 and 16.... how'd we ever win 8, its a mircale." - Joe "Skip" Riggins
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Sox » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 am

LeeScholtz wrote:I'm going to go Citi Field, just for my NY living. But i definitely want a retractable roof, don't want to deal with rainouts.

+1 (actually mine is already tretractable)

I have never understood why anyone would want to deal with rainouts. If it were affordable (and it is in our league) I guarantee all 30 teams would have retractable roofs.
Where there is a Gill, there is a way
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:57 am

Greg, just making sure you have it correct, my park will be retractable. I see in the summary it just says dome.

And I ageee John. We have enough random stuff (*cough*injuries*cough*) than let weather do it too. Mine hasn’t had one because I thought I’d be locked into the model. Was sure that’d bite me this post season ala 2007 until Bobby blitzed me.
Peaks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Peaks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:15 am

There are no 'rain outs,' just delays. It's like everything else, some people don't want the challenge of the unpredictable, which is why people can't stand the random injuries. But fact is, you're going to have to deal with rain at some point because not everyone is going to go with a roofed option, so why not try and be prepared for it?
Peaks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Peaks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 am

Badger wrote:Greg, just making sure you have it correct, my park will be retractable. I see in the summary it just says dome.

Fine, I'll make the change, but the difference is?
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:25 am

DMB has “Dome”, “Outdoor” and “Both” for Type of parks. Retractable is “Both”.
Peaks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Peaks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:26 am

Badger wrote:DMB has “Dome”, “Outdoor” and “Both” for Type of parks. Retractable is “Both”.

I'll surpress the 'duh' reply since as the Ballpark Secretary I'm intimately aware of the options for the ballparks. I mean what is the impact to using a retractable roof versus a dome? It's the same thing outside of the PBP text...
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:30 am

The occasional gust of wind is nice on those warm summer days, Greg.
Peaks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Peaks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 am

cowtippers wrote:The occasional gust of wind is nice on those warm summer days, Greg.

I didn't take into account the virtual wind for our virtual crowds. I should have been more sensitive to the needs of customer bases.
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:36 am

Sigh, we’re getting snippy about this for crissake. A chance of rain during a game would lead to the roof being closed at the start. I have never seen a case with a retractable dome where a game was delayed during it by rain. And if it can happen and I just haven’t seen it, whatever. I just want a retractable.
Peaks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Peaks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 am

I’m honestly curious about why people think there is a difference between the two as it relates to DMB. Everyone wants one and I don’t see any difference in game between thw two outside of a PBP text, so I’m curious about the mental aspect of it.

I’m sorry if my ‘snippiness’ is problematic for you today. I can’t promise I’ll act the way you want me to though.
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:52 am

Greg, not asking you to act any certain way, but I am permitted to call it out when I think it’s unwarranted. I saw “dome” and “retractable” in the summary and wanted to make sure you had the right one for me. That’s it. Yes, I had misread your “and the difference is?” question, obviously, because I thought it was a given that rain delays are not possible with a retractable dome and went for the literal interpretation of your question. I was greatly affected in my World Series appearance by a rain delay. We do, in fact, turn off injuries in the playoffs. So I choose to reduce the randomness of weather in the playoffs too. By product, during the regular season then as well.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 am

I have always had a retractable dome because I want the randomness of wind strength and direction, but don't want the randomness of rain delays. Simple as that!

In my very first playoff series ever, I lost my starting pitcher (who happened to be the Cy Young winner that year) in a crucial win-or-die game -- despite the fact that injuries were off. We played at Marazita's stadium, which had no dome. Maddux's arm seized up after a rain delay in the second inning. Never again if I can avoid it!
Peaks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Peaks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:21 pm

Badger wrote:Greg, not asking you to act any certain way, but I am permitted to call it out when I think it’s unwarranted. I saw “dome” and “retractable” in the summary and wanted to make sure you had the right one for me. That’s it. Yes, I had misread your “and the difference is?” question, obviously, because I thought it was a given that rain delays are not possible with a retractable dome and went for the literal interpretation of your question. I was greatly affected in my World Series appearance by a rain delay. We do, in fact, turn off injuries in the playoffs. So I choose to reduce the randomness of weather in the playoffs too. By product, during the regular season then as well.

Thank you for the explanation. I don't care if you want to call me on something, it's your right. This board is filled with snark and sarcasm, so forgive me for wanting to play a long a bit, especially with such a mundane task as dealing with ballparks.

As far as the crux of your explanation, which I would assume may be similar for others... I just don't know why everyone wants to remove and control every single source of randomness for what is essentially a random game and a random tournament at it's heart. It's so unlike real baseball that its off-putting to me. 99% of injuries are turned off in the playoffs (can't turn off injuries from brawls). Now we want to focus on rain delays to minimize that effect.

But then we are OK with adding more teams to a random tournament, increasing randomness there. We cry realism there because MLB has it, but we want to remove the real affect that weather or injuries can bring. I guess that's the great thing about how are building our universe here. I just shake my head at how we as league talk out of both sides of mouth on the realism bit.

Return to “League Announcements”