Flagstaff announces that 2019 Season will be its last

A forum for official league bizniz.
Peaks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Flagstaff announces that 2019 Season will be its last

Postby Peaks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 am

As most of you know, the last three years have been some of the most difficult of my life. Dealing with a son’s epilepsy onset and diagnosis has been the toughest thing I’ve ever had to deal with in my 48 years.

Even though things have seemed to start to stabilize in his diagnosis, this season I’ve come to the realization that this league, which has been a major part of my life over the past 17 seasons, is no longer something I can do with the same passion that I’ve poured into it as this point. And I’ve never been one to try and half-ass things.

With a move to a new house and being without internet for two weeks, I ended up sending out three series via MP, which I’ve always hated to do, and found that it didn’t matter. I barely even checked the e-mail to see the results. Didn’t import the stats. Didn’t do write-ups. That was the point that I knew it was time for me to leave. The tank is empty.

Calling Mike this morning to deliver this news in person was up there in the Top 10 of the hardest things for me to do.

I will not leave the leave this league is a lurch. I will finish the season, playing the last chapter H2H. I know there is work on a new auction system starting, but if needed, I will happily run the old system in January if it is needed since it is currently reliant on SAS. I will work with whomever steps up to take on the multiple duties that I perform on top of that (ballparks, VORP secretary, etc.).

It’s time for fresh bodies to step up. I’m putting the final call to the bullpen for a fresh arm and I hope for the league’s sake, that this decision works, even if it goes against the splits.

It’s been a joy to be part of this for the last 17 seasons and I hope for nothing but the best for it over the next 17 and beyond. I’ve made some lifelong friends here and me leaving doesn’t change that. I wish everyone good luck moving forward and want to once again thank Mike for taking the chance on me.

This is the Greatest. Baseball. League. On. Earth.
Dumbledoyle
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Flagstaff announces that 2019 Season will be its last

Postby Dumbledoyle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:20 am

Sorry to hear this.
I wish you and your family the best.
Hope the Commish can change your mind.
2021 BDBL Champs!
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:28 am

The Commish cannot change his mind.

I completely understand Greg's decision -- although it obviously kills me. From a personal standpoint, Greg is a very good friend, and will always be. From the league's standpoint, I have joked that he is the real Commissioner of the BDBL, and I'm just a figurehead. But it really isn't a joke. I don't know how this league will function without him, quite honestly.

I will create a couple of new threads to deal with the side effects of this. But first and foremost, I can't thank Greg enough for all the work he has done for this league for so many years. Beyond being a good friend and a good owner, he has been a tremendous asset to this league in ways most of you probably don't even realize.

Greg, I wish you and your family the best. It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway): stay in touch. I expect to see you at future spring trainings and BDBL Weekends.
JohnnyBo
All-Star
All-Star

Postby JohnnyBo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:20 pm

So sad to hear this news. Best wishes to you Greg, and to your family. And, please keep your NFL picks coming!
Battling Maxo says, "I'll be back!"
Mike S./Rocks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike S./Rocks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Aw, man, so sorry to hear this, Greg. Hopefully everything goes well with your son and all the other things you are dealing with. You'll definitely be missed!
Jamboree
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Jamboree » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:44 pm

I understand the decision. If the passion comes back down the line, boomerang your way on back!
Nick_Cifrese
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Nick_Cifrese » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:46 pm

I'm sorry to hear this Greg. You will be greatly missed. Prayers for your son and your family.
Undertakers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Undertakers » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 pm

This is such sad news. Greg is the best. A fantastic owner and such a good human being. I real big blow to the league.

If Mike cannot talk him out of it, I certainly can't either. My only thought is that I needed several months after my divorce before the desire to play came back. My hope is that same thing happens with Greg.

You will be greatly missed, my friend.
BDBL Champion: 5 times
Ozzie League Champion: 6 times
Griffin Division Champion: 16 times
Best Looking GM: 2 times
#1 in Franchise Wins
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Sox » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Man this sucks. I hate to see you leave - as Mike said, you are a great asset to the league. You will be missed. Good luck with your son and your non-baseball life.
Where there is a Gill, there is a way
JDLuhning
All-Star
All-Star

Postby JDLuhning » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Thank you, Greg, for everything you have done for this league. You have put so much heart and soul, sweat and tears in it all. You will be greatly missed.
Your family always comes first. I hope all the best for your son and your family.
Hopefully you pop your head in every now and then to say hi and keep us all updated.
Best of luck, Greg.
Law Dogs
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Law Dogs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:36 pm

I saw Jim post an opening for our league on DMB's Facebook page. Checking our forum I would have never guessed it was you, Greg.

I wish you and your family the best. I've only meet you in person a couple of times, but feel like you're a good friend who's moving away.

Hope we all check in with you on Facebook to see how you're doing and you'll do the same.

Thanks for everything you did to make this hobby of our function. Like Jeff said, maybe that passion will return. I hope it does.
Trust your coach. Trust your team. Trust yourself.
Freedom
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Freedom » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Greg - you will be sorely missed. However, family must always come first. Please know that your second family (BDBL) will always be here for you...as a league participant or otherwise.

Many blessings
Bob
I love my wife
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Family always first, and good luck and best wishes to you and your family. You will be greatly missed.
DylanBadger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby DylanBadger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Greg, this is very depressing but very understandable. You've helped me out so many times over the years that I'll be lost around here! But as someone has already said, family always comes first. Good luck to you!
Niagara Locks
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Niagara Locks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Greg, thanks for your computer help over the years.

I’ll share my last thought about Greg when we went our separate ways at the Minneapolis airport last year:

“ There goes a good and decent man, I am grateful to have had the good fortune to meet him. “

Greg, I hope at some point you change your mind and rejoin the league.

Hope to see you in the future !

Return to “League Announcements”