Auction Site LIVE

A forum for official league bizniz.
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Auction Site LIVE

Postby Badger » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:29 pm

I’ve been working on the new auction test site and should be ready for some testing by Sunday evening. The site is going to look every much like the old site, just different technology and with more immediacy (and because front-end web work is something I don’t really do). Meaning you get instant feedback if your bid is now the winning bid or if you still are not the highest bidder. Basically, almost exactly like eBay.

I’m finishing up the bidding process logic (submitting bids), and the way I’m doing it is using a login with password. I’d like to pre-register everyone so I don’t have the “register” link ever actually open for hackers. Please send me via Private Message on here:

1. Your desired Username
2. Your e-mail address
3. If you’d like to be alerted via e-mail if you have been outbid for a player.
4. Your cell number ONLY IF you’d like to receive text alerts when you have been outbid.

After I get the above, I will register you in the system and you’ll get an e-mail with a link to a password reset page so you can set your own password. Once you login to the system, it will remember you so this won’t be a repeated login process or anything like that.

Yes, alerts are possible with the new system. They are optional, but should be quite useful to everyone. This won’t have auction ending alerts. Just when bids happen that cause people to no longer be the top bid.

I still have some tasks left and I’m still working for my real job. But I am confident enough we’ll be able to use this for the upcoming auction if some testing can happen.

I’ll have more info by the end of weekend, but please get me your info above ASAP so I have it ready to go.

Mike: can you make this topic stick to the top of the forum?
Last edited by Badger on Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Freedom
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Auction Site Test Coming - ACTION REQUIRED

Postby Freedom » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Wow!
I love my wife
Dumbledoyle
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Dumbledoyle » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 am

that's what I am talking about....
whoooaaaa....
2021 BDBL Champs!
Nick_Cifrese
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Nick_Cifrese » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:52 am

This sounds awesome Tony! Thanks for putting in the work.
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:28 pm

To all who have sent me your info, thanks! I won’t be sending out the e-mails from the system until Sunday night, but I did receive a bunch. Maybe about half the league so far.

For those of you who have not sent me your info, please do so before then! This is definitely a case where if you don’t register, you won’t be able to bid. So get ‘er done and send me your info!
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Ok, I do have one question because I have never seen the option before. In the code for the drop-down to select your bid, there is an option to RETRACT a bid. I thought that was not allowed, yet the logic is there on the page.

Has anyone every used that? And, if nobody in the league now has ever used it, may I remove it from the logic? I can write code to allow it, but it would actually be an rather annoying block of code to write. And I have a few other pages to finish up.
Nick_Cifrese
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Nick_Cifrese » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:16 pm

I've never used the retract a bid feature and am fine with removing it as an option.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:29 pm

The retract a bid code is a remnant from the early days. It’s no longer applicable.
Mitch_Gill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mitch_Gill » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:26 pm

I predict players will go much higher in the auction now with this new system
Building for the future....Trust the Process
TimChubb
All-Star
All-Star

Postby TimChubb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:30 am

Badger wrote:I can write code to allow it, but it would actually be an rather annoying block of code to write.

Tony, I can help. Just copy and paste this into your existing code...

IF RETRACT_BID then
IF HURTS_RIDGEBACKS then
DENY_RETRACTION else
WHATEVS

You're welcome
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:59 am

:D

Heads up to everyone, I’ll be ready by Monday night now, as I am not around as much today as I was expecting to be to get things finished up. All the pages are done, I just have to polish a few up a bit and tweak the login and security for the few pages that need security (Player Page/bidding section and “My bids”). I’m also waiting on one more owner to submit their info to me. I’ll process once the site is “live” and I will post the link on here (and for Mike to update the BDBL home page with).

Testing will involve random players with random former teams, and an accelerated auction lot schedule so we can properly test things. Something like all multiple auction lots in a single day, set to expire several hours apart, then I reset at night.
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:12 pm

Registration e-mails on their way! They are going in one at a time, so it'll take me a little bit to get through them.

The site is https://bdbl-dday.azurewebsites.net.

Everyone has the same starting point: 10 players needed and $40M to spend. All made-up players. The lots do expire one per day at 7PM (just for testing): the page didn't look right when I tried to make it every few hours, so we'll just go with this.

The testing I'm looking for is our tiebreak rules being followed, site slowness, anything that breaks. If you get a blank screen, for example, I will need to know what page you were trying to get to. This site is not optimized at all for performance or error messages, nor for mobile screens. If this works out well, those are things I can make happen for next year.

For those of you who have opted in for text messages when you are out-bid, it will come from a specific number (I'm not putting it here so it doesn't get spammed), and will start with "BDBL D-day".
For those of you who have opted in for e-mails when you are out-bid, it will come from the e-mail I use for the BDBL account. So you can reply to that if it seems wrong and I'll be able to reply.

We'll leave the site up in testing mode for the rest of the week. Any issues, you can discuss here or PM me. I'm around the next few days but, ya know, Christmas. Then away 26th/27th. Once a disk is ready to go, I'll get it first, do my data dump and then prep the auction site. I'll warn everyone the site is about to go down for me to get it ready for the main event.

I expect things to break. One thing that I have had some trouble with is on the player pages. When you make a bid, you get feedback right away with a red bar at the top "You're the top bid" "Bid more!" It's only supposed to happen when you bid. So if you haven't placed a bid, and you see it, an error happened somewhere. Go back to the home page and then continue on your merry way. I do have some error logging, but it's slapped together and may or may not work. We'll see.

When testing is over, you should not need to re-login.
Enjoy!
Jamboree
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Jamboree » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:00 am

I just got a text message that I was outbid for James Earl Jones! Awesome stuff!
Ryche
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Ryche » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:50 am

The following players went to an error screen for me...

Pops Morgan
John Kinsella
Mitchell Friedman
Taka Tanaka
Rube Baker
Moonlight Graham
Badger
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Badger » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:49 am

Ah, guys without a former team. Mike noticed it the other night, but I forgot to troubleshoot it. Easy fix is pushing out, if anyone starts to get errors over the next 10 minutes.

DJ: Did you get a 404 error screen, or a blank screen, or something that was an actual error screen?

Return to “League Announcements”