2020 Hall of Fame

A forum for official league bizniz.
Mitch_Gill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: 2020 Hall of Fame

Postby Mitch_Gill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:36 pm

BartChinn wrote:
Jamboree wrote: Does DMB even have PEDs?

I’m going to blow the whistle right now to admit that the Furies manager, and can confirm other franchise managers, are known to indulge in performance enhancing substances during games, and other times too.

I certainly hope this admission doesn’t impact any persons future considerations for the HOF down the road.

Don’t worry Bart the MLB made marijuana legal!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
Building for the future....Trust the Process
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:55 pm

Oswalt also pitched the equivalent of a full season in the BDBL postseason:

13-5, 3.44 ERA, 175.1 IP, 178 H, 24 HR, 47 BB, 154 K

He also won two postseason MVP awards, which is rare for a starting pitcher.
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Sox » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:24 pm

Keep in mind Oswalt pitched during the PED era when A-Rod, Ortiz, Bonds, Sosa, etc were juicing.
Where there is a Gill, there is a way
Mitch_Gill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mitch_Gill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:37 pm

Black Sox wrote:Keep in mind Oswalt pitched during the PED era when A-Rod, Ortiz, Bonds, Sosa, etc were juicing.

So did Maddux, what’s your point?
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Sox » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:20 pm

I never said that he is the caliber of Maddux. Nobody except Kershaw is/was.
Mitch_Gill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mitch_Gill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:59 pm

Black Sox wrote:I never said that he is the caliber of Maddux. Nobody except Kershaw is/was.

I don’t think the standard should be dropped to a 3.8 CERA. It’s the hall of fame, not the Hall of Okay career but I don’t think he cheated so he gets bonus points.

He had 2 sub 3 CERA seasons, one season was the one year he only pitched 44 innings.

This is like The Eli Manning debate to me. He has Wins but that’s about it. His other stats don’t pop off enough to me to be a HOF’er
skizm
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby skizm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:42 pm

I think Halladay deserves it. The innings were amazing, and whatever durability rating he had he could always pitch deep with his control.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 pm

Yeah, I took another look at Halladay earlier today. My first takeaway is that his numbers are so similar to Mike Mussina’s — and Mussina only got ONE vote for the BDBL HOF. Halladay was better (in the BDBL), but not by much.
TimChubb
All-Star
All-Star

Postby TimChubb » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:51 am

cowtippers wrote:Fun fact about Oswalt. Here is a list of all the pitchers in BDBL history who won 19 or more games in a season five times:

Roy Oswalt
Randy Johnson
Clayton Kershaw

That's pretty interesting. I didn't vote for Oswalt and it's a shame because he could/should have been so much better in the BDBL.

I think his case was killed early in his BDBL career when he posted very mediocre numbers for Allentown when he should have been a killer. A comparison of real-life to the BDBL over his first 6 seasons. Note, he was coming out of Houston (a hitters park) and going to Allentown which was below average for offense. Doing this over 200 ip for better context:
Real-life: 200 ip, 192 hits, 16 hr, 44 bb, 169 so, 3.36 era, 3.37 fip
BDBL:.... 200 ip, 216 hits, 18 hr, 45 bb, 164 so, 3.89 era, 3.95 cera

He went the wrong way after the park adjustment; the hits allowed were were crazy and my defense wasn't that bad back then.

Oswalt's real life career ERA+ (park adjusted index where 100 is average) was 127. For context, here are some other pitchers who have/had similar career ERA+:
Sandy Koufax 131
Stephen Strasburg 130
Justin Verlander 129
Bob Gibson 127
Curt Schilling 127
Tom Seaver 127
Goose Gossage 126
Jim Palmer 125
John Smoltz 125

He certainly didn't perform to that level in his BDBL career. I hate to say it because he was my first (or one of my first, I forget) farm pick after I joined the BDBL but he didn't perform at a HOF level, in my opinion.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:09 am

Last call. 20 votes recorded.
LeeScholtz
All-Star
All-Star

Postby LeeScholtz » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Mitch_Gill wrote:
This is like The Eli Manning debate to me. He has Wins but that’s about it. His other stats don’t pop off enough to me to be a HOF’er

Sorry I didn't realize 7th in all-time passing yards and 7th all-time in passing TD wasn't popping enough. On top of that leading huge underdogs to two superbowl wins, AND in each leading having to lead the team to a game clinching drive...

If i told you tomorrow your favorite team gets to draft that career, you'd be popping champagne.
"8 and 16.... how'd we ever win 8, its a mircale." - Joe "Skip" Riggins
Mike S./Rocks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike S./Rocks » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:07 pm

Will vote tomorrow.
Mitch_Gill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mitch_Gill » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:03 pm

LeeScholtz wrote:
Mitch_Gill wrote:

Sorry I didn't realize 7th in all-time passing yards and 7th all-time in passing TD wasn't popping enough. On top of that leading huge underdogs to two superbowl wins, AND in each leading having to lead the team to a game clinching drive...

If i told you tomorrow your favorite team gets to draft that career, you'd be popping champagne.

You can win a super bowl with an average quarterback as long as you have a good run game and defense like the giants did. Does everyone on that roster deserve to go to the HOF because they all have 2 Super Bowls? The guy was never once a top 5 QB in the league over 15 years. If your not top 5 at your position ever, how can you say they should be a HOF’er. He did lead the league in interceptions 3x tho and has a career TD/INT ration of 1.5. I’m sorry but I would not be popping Champagne over a slightly better than league average QB. He’s an iron man for sure. But that doesn’t make you an elite QB. And the HOF is for the elite.
LeeScholtz
All-Star
All-Star

Postby LeeScholtz » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:27 pm

Mitch_Gill wrote:
LeeScholtz wrote:
Mitch_Gill wrote:

You can win a super bowl with an average quarterback as long as you have a good run game and defense like the giants did. Does everyone on that roster deserve to go to the HOF because they all have 2 Super Bowls? The guy was never once a top 5 QB in the league over 15 years. If your not top 5 at your position ever, how can you say they should be a HOF’er. He did lead the league in interceptions 3x tho and has a career TD/INT ration of 1.5. I’m sorry but I would not be popping Champagne over a slightly better than league average QB.

I don't know where to begin to debate all that non-sense.. Sorry you wouldnt pop champagne if I said your team was going to win two superbowls?...

It's as close to common knowledge the QB you have is at least 60% of the reason the team is successful. Why do you think they are paid as such and why year in year out for the past 10-15 years the Pats, Packers, Indy/Den (peyton), Saints and Steelers are always deep in the playoffs. I can bet its not because they have the same RB, or same DL.

Name me an "average" QB that's been named MVP of the Super bowl; once? how about twice?... Can't? that's because only 5 players in history have multiple SB MVPs. When you are 1 of 5 players to do something in a sport, as important as the most valuable player in the most important game of the season... Then yes you are one of the greatest to ever play.

Next you are going to say the 3rd all time leading rusher in the NFL doesnt deserve to be in the hall of fame because he never lead the league in rushing.
"8 and 16.... how'd we ever win 8, its a mircale." - Joe "Skip" Riggins
Black Sox
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Sox » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:51 pm

I do think that Eli is a hall of famer. But did Mahomes really deserve Super Bowl MVP last Sunday? I don't think so.

Return to “League Announcements”