Coronavirus

A forum for discussing anything non-baseball EXCEPT POLITICS!
Mike S./Rocks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Mike S./Rocks » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Ohio is about to postpone tomorrow’s primary until June 2.

This PSA is for those who would like a date for when you can do something other than sit around and play BDBL games all day.
Freedom GM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Freedom GM » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:24 pm

Who had their money on Denmark being the only country that got this whole thing right?

1) Lock up all oldand vulnerable for six weeks

2) Tell everyone else to go get the diseasike chicken pox

3) Everyone heals and becomes immune, thus protecting the vulnerable from catching it
Mike S./Rocks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike S./Rocks » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Denmark was one of the first countries to close all its libraries and schools.

It also banned meetings of more than 100 people and limited the number of people on public transportation.
LeeScholtz
All-Star
All-Star

Postby LeeScholtz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Little bit different for a country that’s roughly 2/3 the size of just NYC.
"8 and 16.... how'd we ever win 8, its a mircale." - Joe "Skip" Riggins
Mike S./Rocks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike S./Rocks » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:02 pm

Here’s what Denmark is doing.

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/03/denmar ... -recession

Bet they aren’t too upset about Brexit these days.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:54 pm

During the next three months, the state will cover 75% of the wages of workers threatened by job loss, up to £2,800. Companies will cover the remaining 25%, while workers will give up 5 days of paid holiday time, in other words work five days for free.

Imagine if that happened here. 75% of all wages paid over a three-month timeframe would be...how much? My estimate is around $4.4 trillion.

So, we'd add $4.4 trillion to our $23 trillion debt, and workers would give up five days of pay just to keep their jobs.

Something tells me the overwhelming response to all of this would be: HELL NO.

But then, given that our entire economy is about to collapse, and millions will lose their jobs thanks to this overreaction, maybe most people would consider that to be a fair deal.
Freedom GM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Freedom GM » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:04 pm

lollll wrote Denmark. I meant the Dutch. Duh me
Mike S./Rocks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike S./Rocks » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:23 pm

Didn’t we have Corona in the league way back when?

EDIT: Ugh, that was Ed McGowan’s team. Like we need more bad need attached to the name Corona. RIP
JohnnyBo
All-Star
All-Star

Postby JohnnyBo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:09 am

Mother Abigail
I'm one hundred six years old, and I still make my own bread!
Battling Maxo says, "I'll be back!"
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Wed May 06, 2020 2:01 pm

A few startling figures relating to COVID:

-- Nearly 20% of all deaths in the US come from New York State.
-- Roughly 25% of all deaths in New York State come from nursing homes.
-- Roughly 40% of all COVID deaths in New York State never tested positive for COVID.

I hate using the phrase "blood on his hands", but Andrew Cuomo needs to be criminally charged for the decisions he's made throughout this whole ordeal. He won't be, because no one ever seems to held accountable for anything in this country, but he should be.
LeeScholtz
All-Star
All-Star

Postby LeeScholtz » Wed May 06, 2020 2:47 pm

cowtippers wrote:A few startling figures relating to COVID:

-- Nearly 20% of all deaths in the US come from New York State.
-- Roughly 25% of all deaths in New York State come from nursing homes.
-- Roughly 40% of all COVID deaths in New York State never tested positive for COVID.

I hate using the phrase "blood on his hands", but Andrew Cuomo needs to be criminally charged for the decisions he's made throughout this whole ordeal. He won't be, because no one ever seems to held accountable for anything in this country, but he should be.

As someone who lives in NYC, and isn't a huge fan of Cuomo to begin with. ALOT of the blame goes on NYC residents, clearly disregarding safety measures and proceeding with normal life as if nothing was going on. If anyone saw the picture of everyone gathered in central park this weekend, its this type of disregard that is exactly what I'm referring to.
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Wed May 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Not so fast!

According to Cuomo's briefing today, only 2% of the hospitalizations in NYS were caused by congregating. The top sources of admission:

Home: 66%
Nursing home: 18%
Other: 8%
Assisted living facility: 4%
Homeless: 2%
Congregate: 2%
Jail/Prison: <1%

Staying at home has caused most of the hospitalizations in the state! Which makes sense, because most of the people who have been hospitalized in NYS are 60+ years old. Those aren't the people you see congregating in Central Park.
LeeScholtz
All-Star
All-Star

Postby LeeScholtz » Thu May 07, 2020 8:35 am

you realize those are the people who GIVE it to the 60 year olds right??? just because the idiots in central park aren't sick enough to go to the hospital and get logged into the data doesn't mean they are not spreading it. Who do you think is delivering grandma groceries, or delivering pizza..... to get it at HOME it must have come somewhere from the outside. It doesn't magically appear in your home.

my fiance works with these patients daily... HOME is a catch all... someone who one day gets sick at home isnt going to be ya know its probably form when i went out to CVS and picked up supplies a week ago... NO they are gonna be like I was staying at home and i dont know how i got it.

Lastly, I'm SUREE no one has ever ever lied to a doctor before. how many drinks a week do you have... oh certainly less than 2 or 3..... I'm probably not completely out of bounds assuming that if someone thought they got it from hanging out in central park all weekend.. they aren't going to offer up.. ya im the dumbass who went against all the wishes of every doctor in the city and was slamming drinks with randos in central park...
Commish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Commish » Thu May 07, 2020 9:01 am

Either way, the lockdown didn’t work. Older people, staying mostly at home, still got sick. So what was the point of shutting down the entire economy, sending countless millions into unemployment, poverty, and bankruptcy?

This is the greatest mistake mankind has ever made. We may never recover from the pointless overreaction to this virus.
LeeScholtz
All-Star
All-Star

Postby LeeScholtz » Thu May 07, 2020 9:26 am

cowtippers wrote:Either way, the lockdown didn’t work. Older people, staying mostly at home, still got sick. So what was the point of shutting down the entire economy, sending countless millions into unemployment, poverty, and bankruptcy?

This is the greatest mistake mankind has ever made. We may never recover from the pointless overreaction to this virus.

well the counter point to this was the lock down in NYC didnt work because people didn't listen... but agree to disagree on that point.

I do feel that its not a cut and dry issue as I do think people in general didn't think of the consequences to a lockdown as much as they should have. Many people lives are in shambles because of the shutdown, at what point is that cost too great? That question does not have an easy answer. I'm glad I don't have to make it because either way people are going to die.

Return to “Off-Topic”