Drinking

A forum for discussing anything non-baseball EXCEPT POLITICS!
skizm
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Drinking

Postby skizm » Wed May 04, 2022 10:00 am

Just a random note. I haven't drank heavily since May of 2021, and most of 2021 before that I barely drank.

Since 17-18 yrs old my entire life has revolved around it. The escape, the pressure release in the brain, the euphoria and energy.

Even when I was drinking a 6 pack a week, it was the best.

Now, I just have no desire to drink anything. I've had a beer or 2 this year and it just bored me, blleah feeling gut, no buzz just tiredness.

This isn't abnormal or interesting, or my point.

My entire life has been based around drinking. As long as I had it, it's all I needed.
It deserves praise and blame for a lot of my life.
It felt like my purpose in life, to drink alcohol.
It feels very strange not to desire it anymore after 35 consecutive years and heavy imbibing.

My point is, it hasn't helped much. I get mad as often. I don't think any sharper or better, or feel better.
It prevents hangovers and that is it.

The sober life is so overrated. I like the no hangovers, I like losing weight. But I miss having something I naturally care about so much.

This is the strangest period of my life. It's not especially bad or good.
Mike S./Rocks
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Drinking

Postby Mike S./Rocks » Wed May 04, 2022 10:40 am

Hangovers blow.

I have always been I guess what you call a social drinker. I'd drink when I'd go out with friends at a concert, ball game, poker night, what have you. But rarely to excess. I remember two or three times in my younger days when I got blackout drunk, but those were the rarities. Could shrug it off back then and be back to functioning the next day. And back then I might have a pop or two when home alone.

That doesn't happen much anymore. Now I have a couple drinks at my bowling league every week and that's about it on a regular basis. Rarely even have beer in the house. I do have a small "liquor cabinet" which is rarely touched.

Although I did make a mistake last Friday. After getting home from seeing Espino pitch, I realized I had a little left in a bottle of Seagram's 7, so I mixed it for a 7&7 and then did it again and again. Didn't even drink that much, but it was late and I had to work Saturday and that was not a fun day.
skizm
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby skizm » Wed May 04, 2022 11:08 am

Yea, they suck.

I have found one exception to the rule. Very expensive beer known as Trappist Ale. Made by monks in Europe.

Instead of immediately souring my stomach, it felt healthy. It's so strong (usually around 10%) you don't need much.
A 750 ml bottle is like 20 bucks, which is absurd.
The fact that it doesn't hurt my stomach (strange) is well worth it. If I drink again, it will be that.

Having had pancreatitis (ER visits and 3 days inpatient in 2017?? Maybe 18), I am not supposed to drink, especially hard liquor. But I've had a few shots here and there (a few time, 2 or 3 drinks or shots), and it felt much better than that beer crap.

Maybe I'll order one now, to turn this thread around.
skizm
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby skizm » Thu May 05, 2022 11:02 am

Inspired by old memories and this post, I went and got a 6-pack. The place was limited, no Trappist Ale. I bought one of my old favorites. Lagunita. In can instead of bottle. Mistake. I drank about half a can last night, thought "gross" and threw it away.

This is so weird. Plus I'm old too, which also weird.
Mitch_Gill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Postby Mitch_Gill » Sat May 07, 2022 2:40 pm

I don’t drink much at all myself. My guilty pleasure is I smoke weed. No hangovers… just the munchies :lol:
Building for the future....Trust the Process

Return to “Off-Topic”